Saturday, April 14, 2012

SC kodiak on ladder reset

[:1]So I have read everything I could find on setting up a hunger bear. The problem is that the info doesn't really go into great detail for leveling up from scratch. I havent played in years and decided to give it a go because they are leveling the playing field, and it will tide me over for d3 for a while. Will be playing with my gf(blizz sorc and complete noob) pretty much at all times.

I assume that hunger is viable to use assuming I have elemental damage, and plan on using it as my main attack once I get it. Or should I just stick with maul and normal attack until I get crushing blow and lots of elemental damage? I am pretty much going to be pure in the shifting tree with hunger, maul, and that aoe stun but stuck on whether or not to get a spirit with 1-2 points.

My current gear philosophy stands on getting as fast a weapon as possible that can deal somewhat acceptable physical damage preferably with sockets(but speed/breakpoints over anything else on remotely comparable gear).

For the rest of my gear my main concern seems like it will be adding CRUSHING BLOW, elemental damage, and ias if it will help me reach a breakpoint. Will be using the info from the kodiak sticky for determining how much IAS I will be needing on wep/gear.

Assuming everything thus far is accurate my questions are:

1. Should I just save any decent runes/gems, say shael/flawless and up to save for later gear like duress? and something like ort or whatever to just plop in a weapon? It seems like I will be swapping out weapons and gear left and right as I level up and would hate to stick a shael in something that won't even last 7 lvls.

2. Are mercs going to be hard to keep alive with no twink gear? assuming one of our mercs will have the defense aura, but we prob wont have much life leech.

3. similar to mercs, would a 1 point spirit be worth it at all? seems like he would have pretty low life and get wasted by ranged attacks or anything all the time.

4. What the heck do I pump as far as str and dex? Beggars cant be choosers, as I level up I can't just stick to a strict gear philosophy. A stupidly awesome sword might drop and I wouldn't want to be stuck with no dex. Respecs(so awesome they added) help out with long term considerations, but I don't have any general ideas of what to do.

5. Does always having a blizz sorc(atleast when we get to that lvl) running with me change the game in any major ways? example: you dont need much defensive stats cause everything will be chilled?

6. Can I possibly settle for a slower weapon if I can add a ton of elemental damage? say a maul with enough ias to reach the next breakpoint, vs something with 4 sockets that I can stick a bunch of gems in.

7. any other thoughts or corrections?

pretty excited to be playing d2 again, but have these questions rolling around in my head lol. Would really appreciate any help.|||1.) Yes. Low runes and perfect gems are good for crafting and trading.

2.) Somewhat, but manageable. I'm playing through untwinked with a friend of mine and our mercs only die to nasty boss packs. We have mediocre gear (Mine uses Kelpie/Treachery/Gemmed crownd [Ort/IAS jewel] and my friend uses Insight/Sigon's armor/Tal's Mask). Feed them potions and use Shockwave.

3.) Spirits tend to die often (Oak in particular), so it comes down to preference. 1pt in Oak Sage can't hurt though.

4.) Enough for gear.

5.) If the Blizz sorc is good and uses Glacial Spike often, it should help a lot. Although a Holy Freeze merc will achieve the same effect.

6.) Don't know

7.) The general consensus I have gathered from reading other people who have tried the Kodiak build is that SSoG overhyped its effectiveness. I played one as well and it isn't very impressive. It is a fun build, though.

If I were doing an untwinked Druid, I'd probably make a Fire Claw bear and run NM countess to gather up enough Shael runes for a 6socket Phase Blade. Since FC relies on skills, you can use most of your gear for defensive stats to survive and won't have to hope elemental damage weapons drop. Teaming up with a Blizz sorc as you mentioned will then give you a pretty well rounded team.|||Quote:








7.) The general consensus I have gathered from reading other people who have tried the Kodiak build is that SSoG overhyped its effectiveness. I played one as well and it isn't very impressive.




This is because a Werebear using Hunger is bugged so that every other attack, while displayed client-side, does not get executed server-side: the maximum 4 frame attack rate is effectively 8 frame maximum attack rate, because only every other attack is actually executed.

The same applies to Werewolves using Hunger at certain speeds: see ledrug's recent Hunger much? topic in the Amazon Basin's Druid Room for more details, including a download for a calculator which indicates these bugged speeds.|||Quote:








This is because a Werebear using Hunger is bugged so that every other attack, while displayed client-side, does not get executed server-side: the maximum 4 frame attack rate is effectively 8 frame maximum attack rate, because only every other attack is actually executed.




Thanks for the info. Pardon my ignorance, but when you say server-side/client-side, does that mean it only effects closed B.net play or is Hunger bugged on single player as well?|||SP also uses a client/server system. So ye :/|||so it sounds like something that really doesnt work very well. only half the attacks actually hitting sounds pretty weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment